Friday, March 11, 2011

Understanding

This morning as I was catching up with my friends on Face Book a friend posted something that really upset me. It was a comment about someone that he knows, who has evidently threatened to hurt himself. This post struck a nerve with me and I had to post a response of my own.

The "conversation" went back and forth between my friend and myself with another person jumping in and adding their opinion as well. The general consensus from their side was that the person was trying to get attention, and that if they really wanted to die then they should just go ahead and get it over with. My opinion was that the person was reaching out for help in the only way that they knew how. And they that they needed understanding and help.

After a few interchanges I decided that the best thing for me was to un-friend my friend, so that I no longer had to read the posts that he and his friends were posting.

But what really upset me was the callousness of my friend and his friend. We all need to work to understand those around us, and realize that each is dealing with their own demons. I know that my action of un-friending was not the answer, but it was the best thing for me to do at the time. I just pray that the person that was the subject of the conversation receives the help that they are so desperately reaching out for.

No comments:

Post a Comment