Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Trust

This morning like most mornings I read my devotionals. They come to me via email on a daily basis. Most mornings one of the three will speak directly to me. Funny thing this morning they all talked of trust in one way or another. Anyone who knows me can tell you that I have trust issues. Over the years I have opened myself up to people only to be disappointed or worse yet hurt. Trust is a hard thing to do.

In our lives we are asked to trust in so many areas, we trust that our employers will keep us and that they will pay us for the work that we do. We trust our parents, our children and our friends. our elected officials, and on and on. There are some that will use this trust to take advantage and hurt. There are others that just plainly do not deserve the trust that we have placed in them.

For those who have found that their trust was misplaced, it becomes more difficult for them to trust and thus they may miss out on some very special relationships because of this. This is where I found myself. Over the years, trusted friends turned out not to be so trustworthy. Family disappointed and took advantage, causing me to put up my guard. If I didn't open up and let anyone in, then I would not get hurt.

I found out that it doesn't work that way, we were put on this earth to be a family, to trust and take care of each other. Yes, there are those who will hurt us no matter what. There are those who see my trust as a weakness to exploit and use to their advantage. I am learning that it is their loss not mine. You will notice I said "learning" it is an ongoing process. The biggest thing that I have learned is to trust God, I know that if I will put my trust in him that nothing else really matters. He will take care of me, great things will happen in my life and none of the rest really matters. I am not saying that I will not be hurt by those who betray my trust, it will still hurt, and bad things will still happen in my life. But if I will put my full and complete trust in him then it will be ok.

Trusting is not easy, especially for a wall builder life myself. I work every day at giving it over to God and leaving it with him, it is hard! I am a fixer, and fixer with trust issues on top of that. But I am working on it and each day it becomes a little easier.

And for those whom I have trusted, and been hurt. I pray that I can get past my hurt and I pray that they will see how much they have hurt not just me but others with their betrayal. I want to let it go and get on with life, and most of all I want to trust without doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment