Sunday, January 16, 2011

Different might be Better

Anyone one that knows me also knows that my pets play a very important part in my life. They are as close to children as Ray and I will ever have. I have had many pets over the years, and they have all taught me lessons, which I have carried with me through the years. One of those lessons was not to make assumptions based on looks or the reputation of a supposed group. This I learned from Aesop. Aesop was a brahama bull, my grandfather purchased him to cross breed with the herfords already on the farm. All my life I had heard about how mean brahama bulls were. That is where the lesson comes in. We have all heard don’t judge a book by the cover. Well Aesop was one of those books. He was the sweetest, gentlest, big hulking, floppy eared bull that I ever saw. Thanks to Aesop I can say that I have ridden a brahama bull.
We all make assumptions based on a person’s looks. Who among us has not looked at a stranger and decided if they were worthy of our friendship based on the way they were dressed or even worse their weight, age, or even the way they talked. The phrases, fat and lazy, dumb blonde, are just some that come to mind. As a person who is overweight I am sure that my weight has played a major role how I am perceived. So just as Aesop was not the mean vicious bull he was thought to be, those people you meet may not be what you think they are. Take time to get to know them, find out who they really are. It just might surprise you just how much you can learn, from someone that is so different.

No comments:

Post a Comment