Monday, August 15, 2011

A Lesson Learned

The plan was for a few friends to get together for a little fun and enjoyment. But more than fun was had during our Sunday afternoon outing. Since I am evidently the only person on the planet that has not read The Help, I had no idea that going to see the movie would stir up such strong emotions. I had watched the clips and it looked like it would be a funny and enjoyable movie to see with friends, and it was. However, it also taught me a great deal about our not so recent history and how much we have grown.

I studied history in school, and I have read the books on the civil rights movement. I know the story about Rosa Parks and her bus seat, but I had no idea that there were people who behaved as those women did in that movie. Nor did I know that there were actually laws on the books that specifically targeted people because of their race.

I was born in the South, I grew up in the South and I will most likely die in the South. I have always been proud of my heritage. But watching that movie yesterday, not so much. I grew up during the time that was depicted in the movie. My family never had the luxury of a maid. And for that I am now very glad, although I would like to believe that if we had, they would not have been treated as poor women were. I learned a lesson yesterday and I hope it is one that I never forget.

1 comment:

  1. It is a wonderful book and since we did not have domestics when I was growing up or the life style that went with social climbing status represented in the book. As a child in the South, I was also clueless as to the civil rights movement that was happening all around us in the South.

    ReplyDelete