Friday, November 12, 2010

Shortcuts and Consequences

This morning’s devotional was about taking shortcuts. You know the ones that I am talking about. Putting the dish in the sink instead of the dishwasher, Leaving the mail on the table instead of going through it and tossing out the junk mail right then, all of the little things that we don’t do in the name of “not enough time right now”.
It got me to thinking about all of the shortcuts that I have taken and where they got me. I cannot play the piano, because I took shortcuts during my lessons. I am now back in college, because I took a shortcut to adulthood with disastrous results. I have had some great jobs in my life that I walked away from, because I wanted to reach the top of the ladder too quickly.
It has taken me a long time to learn that if it is worth having it is worth working for and worth taking the time to get it right. Taking the time to do a job right will always reward us. This is a lesson that I am learning a little later in life than I would have liked, but I am learning the lesson nonetheless.
My relationship with God is much the same. It is a long process of but in the end if I take the time and build a strong foundation and work my way through it will be stronger and I will be less likely to falter when obstacles are put in my path. I am a work in progress, and I thank God that he is still willing to take the time to complete me.
So my thought for today is that slow and steady might not win the race but you will cross the finish line, and when you do it will be with the knowledge that it was done the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment